10th ANNUAL HALIBUT DERBY STARTS NOVEMBER
Congratulations David Mendez – He won 1st place in the 2016/2017 Halibut Derby!
His 32 lb fish caught in November held the top spot and was the derby winner and he took home $1,500 for it (pictured below left). Another $1,600 was paid out to the remaining top 4 fish.
The 25 anglers on the derby leaderboard were out today on the Clemente fishing for the remaining $500 in prize money for biggest halibut caught today. Winning fish in the derby fish-off was 11lbs and was caught by angler Fred Erdman (pictured above right).
Two Ways to Enter
1. Halibut Drift Days 2016-17
These are special extended halibut drift trips that will specifically drift for halibut.
Fridays and / or Sundays 7:00am – 4:00pm – Limited load to 25 passengers.
$69 per person, $5 entry included in price. Final Drift is Sunday, April 2nd 2017.
Buy tickets here!
2. Enter on any open party ½ or ¾ day trip!
Cost to enter is $5 and will be taken at time of check-in. Entry must be paid for before boat departs. An entry is only valid for the day it is purchased. To enter on a different day, an addition entry ticket must be purchased.
6 Ways to Win
- At the end of the derby, the top 5 anglers who catch the largest halibut (by weight) will receive the top 5 Cash Prizes – 1st place $1500, 2nd place $750 , 3rd Place $500 , 4th Place $250, and 5th Place $100
- $500 cash prize will go to the winner of the Dana Wharf Halibut Derby Fish Off on Sunday, April 2nd 2017 The Fish Off will be a free trip for the top 25 anglers who catch the top 25 halibut (by weight) during the Halibut Derby.
- A $100 Dana Wharf Gift Card will be awarded each month of the derby to the angler who catches the largest halibut that month, and an Okuma rod/reel. Plus prizes from Hogan’s Bait n Tackle and The Jig Stop. An overall value of $200!
- Every angler entered in the Derby that catches a Halibut 15lbs or larger will win a $65 gift box filled with prizes from BD OUTDOORS. (Gift box will be mailed to the angler.)
- Each Drift Day every angler will be entered in a raffle to win a 3/4 day fishing trip with Dana Wharf. ($64 Value)
- Each Drift Day the JACKPOT winner for the day with the biggest halibut will receive a free HALIBUT DERBY shirt from Dana Wharf .
Please read the full rules and eligibility requirements. Please note rules are subject to change.
*Please note that children must be accompanied by an adult on either the Halibut Drift Days or when buying a Halibut ticket on a 1/2 day or 3/4 day.
Rules Of The Halibut Derby
- TO BE ENTERED IN THE DERBY, YOU MUST BE ON A HALIBUT DRIFT DAY TRIP OR PAY A $5 ENTRY FEE ON A REGULAR ½ OR ¾ DAY OPEN PARTY TRIP!!! On regular ½ Day or ¾ Day Open Party trips, you must purchase your entry before the boat departs the dock. The $5 entry fee is included in the price on Halibut Drift Day trips. Sorry, no discounts for the Halibut Drift Days.
- Each paid ticket on a Halibut Drift Day is considered the angler’s entry into the derby for that day only. Each $5 entry on a regular ½ day or ¾ day is considered the angler’s entry into the derby for that day only.
- All anglers competing in the Derby and Fish Off must comply with all California Department of Fish and Game laws.
- Halibut must be caught on rod and reel in order to be eligible for the derby.
- Anglers must hook and land halibut with minimal crew assistance in order to be eligible for the Fish Off or for the Derby Prize Money. The crew may only assist with gaffing or netting the halibut. No hook and hands will be counted. Captain of the boat has final say as to the eligibility of the halibut. All disputes MUST be handled the same day as the halibut is caught.
- We will be targeting halibut all day on the Halibut Drift Day trips. This can include drifting or anchoring. On regular ½ day or ¾ open party trips, we may or may not be fishing in areas known for Halibut.
- The largest 5 halibut of the derby (by weight) will receive the prize money at the end of the derby. Should there be a tie; the money will be divided equally.
- The top 25 angler leader board will be visible on the Dana Wharf website. An angler may only have 1 space on the top 25 leader board. The angler’s heaviest halibut will be used in the case that the angler has multiple halibut.
- An additional daily jackpot on the boat will be available just as it is normally and entry is optional.
- All eligible halibut will be weighed and filleted aboard the boat.
- Anyone caught cheating in the tournament will forfeit all cash prizes and loose their position in the top 25 leader board immediately.
- There is a passenger minimum of 10 for any trip to depart.
- If a scheduled Halibut Drift Day trip is missed due to weather or other circumstances, it will not be made up.
- The $100 gift card and rod and reel prize cannot be won 2 months in a row, and in the event that the winner of the rod and reel does not live here it can not be shipped .
Rules Of The Halibut Derby Fish Off
The Dana Wharf Halibut Derby Fish Off will be a FREE trip for the top 25 anglers who catch the top 25 halibut (by weight) between November 1st, 2016 and March 31, 2017. The trip will be rescheduled if there is poor weather.
- The largest halibut (by weight) caught on the Fish Off will receive a $500 cash prize. There will be no daily jackpot available on this trip.
- If no legal halibut are caught on the Fish Off, then the $500 will be split among ALL of the anglers on the Fish Off.
- In the case of a tie on the Fish Off, the largest halibut will be determined by weight AND length.
- Anglers must hook and land halibut with minimal crew assistance in order to be eligible for the Fish Off or for the Derby Prize Money. The crew may only assist with gaffing or netting the halibut. No hook and hands will be counted. Captain of the boat has final say as to the eligibility of the halibut. All disputes MUST be handled the day of the Fish Off.
- Halibut must be caught on rod and reel in order to be eligible.
- All anglers competing in the Derby and Fish Off must comply with all California and Federal Fish and Game laws.
- All eligible halibut will be weighed and filleted aboard the boat.
- There will be no alternates on the Fish Off. If one of the top 25 anglers cannot make the Fish Off, their position will not be filled.
Some Halibut Fishing Tips
This seems to be a pretty popular set up among our anglers. There are quite a few variations of this set up. I prefer the reverse dropper loop set-up with a 3 or 4 oz. torpedo sinker. This means short sinker leader with a longer 24 leader to the hook. The stinger hook set up is probably the best. Snell in a regular 1/0 hook about 10• from the end of the leader (this distance really depends on the size of the bait that is being used). Then tie a treble hook on the tag end of the leader to act as the stinger hook. You then hook the 1/0 hook through the nose of the bait and the treble hook down by the anal fin of the bait with 2 of the 3 hooks exposed. A vast majority of the halibut I’ve seen caught have jus the stinger hook in its mouth. Pretty effective.
Drifting is typically the best “method” as you can cover some water. But you can however have some success if you have this type of set up and try fishing different areas of the boat and not just fishing in the same spot on the boat.
This picture shows all kinds of crazy stuff like swivels and beads. There are now 3 line connections that can fail. It’s not really necessary. Some people swear by it, I think if you can tie a decent knot on your dropper loop than a swivel is not necessary. If you feel more comfortable with tying the same knot on all the connections to the swivel then go for it. It’s all preference.
~ Brian (Capt. Of the Sum Fun)
Click on year for information.
Thank You To Our Sponsors!
2016/2017 Halibut Derby LeaderboardCongratulations to our top 5 prize winners !
1. David Mendez $1500
2. Janice Krause $750
3. Jeff Randal $500
4. Steve Snieder $250
5. Joshua Smith $100
|1 David Mendez||11-20-16||32 lbs. 9 oz.|
|2 Janice Krause||11-18-16||23 lbs. 4 oz.|
|3 Jeff Randall||1-15-17||19 lbs. 1 oz.|
|4 Steve Snieder||11-4-16||17 lbs. 6 oz.|
|5 Joshua Smith||2-10-17||17 lbs. 3 oz.|
|6 Josh Peek||1-15-17||16 lbs. 0 oz.|
|7 Walt Carver||12-18-16||15 lbs. 8 oz.|
|8 David Mann||12-18-16||15 lbs. 6 oz.|
|9 Jason Deats||1-8-17||13 lbs. 2 oz.|
|10 Justin Schneider||11-18-16||12 lbs. 12 oz.|
|11 Arman Gasparian||12-30-16||12 lbs. 8 oz.|
|12 Fred Erdmann||1-15-17||12 lbs. 5 oz.|
|13 Peter Dragojlovic||12-23-16||12 lbs. 1 oz.|
|14 Larry Tracy||12-4-16||11 lbs. 13 oz.|
|15 Robert Moughalian||3-31-17||11 lbs. 11 oz.|
|16 Soren Hoffman||3-31-17||11 lbs. 10 oz.|
|17 Antonio Cruz||2-10-17||11 lbs. 9 oz.|
|18 Anna Shamulus||1-8-17||11 lbs. 8 oz.|
|19 Mike Neue||11-6-16||10 lbs. 8 oz.|
|20 Mark Luke||1-15-17||10 lbs. 8 oz.|
|21 Cher Owens||1-29-17||10 lbs. 5 oz.|
|22 Doug Hath||3-17-16||9 lbs. 14 oz.|
|23 Mark Lavo||11-20-16||9 lbs. 7 oz.|
|24 Jerald Carter||11-20-16||8 lbs. 5 oz.|
|25 Javier Calvo||3-3-17||7 lbs. 6 oz.|
2015/2016 Halibut Derby LeaderboardCurrent Jackpot: $2935
|1 Jerry Boston||11-6-15||23.5 lbs.|
|2 Robert Teuber||11-6-15||17.5 lbs.|
|3 Gill Ferraro||1-10-16||17.1 lbs.|
|4 Ryan Allain||11-6-15||15.2 lbs.|
|5 Anna Shamuius||11-6-15||15.0 lbs.|
|6 JB Delvert||11-22-15||14.5 lbs.|
|7 Clint Jordan||11-27-15||13.2 lbs.|
|8 Walt Carver||11-29-15||12.3 lbs.|
|9 Don Girskis||11-20-15||11.7 lbs.|
|10 Steve Snieder||11-6-15||11.5 lbs.|
|11 David Trinh||11-22-15||10.1 lbs.|
|12 Eric Hilden||12-4-15||10.1 lbs.|
|13 Kyle Duke||3-4-16||10.1 lbs.|
|14 Frank Sahanas||11-6-15||8.7 lbs.|
|15 Phil McDaniel||11-6-15||8.0 lbs.|
|16 Max Neue||11-15-15||6.1 lbs.|
|17 Eric Rivas||11-20-15||5.7 lbs.|
|18 Austin Vegh||12-20-15||5.1 lbs.|
|19 Jeff Autrey||12-13-15||5.1 lbs.|
|20 Paul Pappas||11-15-15||4.3 lbs.|
|21 Melvin Simms||11-29-15||4.2 lbs.|
|22 Conner Hilden||12-4-15||4.2 lbs.|
|23 Adam Kimey||11-27-15||4.1 lbs.|
|24 Javier Calvo||12-27-15||3.1 lbs.|
2014/2015 Halibut Derby LeaderboardCurrent Jackpot: $3590
|1 Norm Bell||1-4-15||21 lbs. 8 oz.|
|2 Ivan Hampton||1-4-15||18 lbs. 5 oz.|
|3 Scott Meckler||2-15-15||13 lbs. 6 oz.|
|4 Rand Burlington||2-22-15||10 lbs. 6 oz.|
|5 Jerry Vyhnis||2-7-15||10 lbs. 0 oz.|
|6 George Till||2-15-15||9 lbs. 7 oz.|
|7 Steve Snieder||12-7-14||9 lbs. 5 oz.|
|8 Jeff Autrey||12-7-14||9 lbs. 2 oz.|
|9 Catherine Clanton||2-15-15||8 lbs. 8 oz.|
|10 Ray Ruiz||11-2-14||8 lbs. 3 oz.|
|11 Tim Tidwell||12-7-14||8 lbs. 3 oz.|
|12 Daryl Singleton||1-11-15||7 lbs. 11 oz.|
|13 Cher Owens||1-11-15||6 lbs. 12 oz.|
|14 Javier Calvo||1-4-15||5 lbs. 10 oz.|
|15 Vern Kask||1-11-15||5 lbs. 9 oz.|
|16 JB Delvert||2-8-15||5 lbs. 8 oz.|
|17 Mark Frusher||2-8-15||5 lbs. 7 oz.|
|18 Paul Papas||11-23-14||5 lbs. 5 oz.|
|19 Tom Garrick||4-26-15||5 lbs. 3 oz.|
|20 Larry Tracy||12-28-14||4 lbs. 13 oz.|
|21 Mike Neue||2-22-15||4 lbs. 9 oz.|
|22 Stephen Lang||3-29-15||4 lbs. 8 oz.|
|23 Kenny Lee||1-4-15||4 lbs. 7 oz.|
|24 Derek Massey||1-11-15||4 lbs. 4 oz.|
|25 Frank Sahanas||11-2-14||4 lbs. 0 oz.|
2013/2014 Halibut Derby LeaderboardJackpot $3,640
|1||Stephen Green||40lbs 11oz|
|2||Jeffrey Hindman||17lbs 5oz|
|3||Mike Pampu||11lbs 12oz|
|4||Peggy Stein||11lbs 6oz|
|5||Daniel Albright||10lbs 6oz|
|6||Paul Pappas||9lbs 9oz|
|7||Michelle Kelly||9lbs 5oz|
|8||Mike Neue||9lbs 2oz|
|9||Joel Isquierdo||8lbs 13oz|
|10||Silvia Shamulus||8lbs 10oz|
|11||Rick Huffman||8lbs 10oz|
|12||Raymond Padilla||8lbs 1oz|
|13||Tab Lewis||7lbs 13oz|
|14||Jerry Vyhnis||7lbs 8oz|
|15||Cher Owens||6lbs 10oz|
|16||Alex Mitchell||6lbs 3oz|
|17||Bill Perham||5lbs 11oz|
|18||Steve Snieder||5lbs 7oz|
|19||Mike Donahue||5lbs 1oz|
|20||Adam Ferguson||5lbs 0oz|
|21||Mark Luke||4lbs 14oz|
|22||Luke Nam||4lbs 11oz|
|23||Daniel Cisneros||4lbs 10oz|
|24||Max Neue||4lbs 7oz|
|25||Brett Ringler||4lbs 4oz|
Past Derby Winners
The 2012/2013 Halibut Derby Fish Off Winner Ken Jeske
The winner of the 2011/2012 Halibut Derby is Peggy Stein with her 43 pound 10 ounce fish! Peggy won $2,957.50! The other half of the jackpot went to Rob Glass of Coto de Caza for his 16 pound 10 ounce halibut he caught in the fish off on May 6th, 2012! Congrats to both winners!